$230,000. The style is representative of the progressivism that defined the era, in which erecting a courthouse with a novel, “modernistic” design became a public assertion of the county’s commitment to growth and improvement. The two-story stone courthouse, which featured a prominent central tower, was built on the current courthouse square near the canal. According to the newspaper, the Commissioners signed a statement that they would not enter into a contract exceeding $100,000, but this was not confirmed by the Commissioners Court minutes. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff Any person who believes that she or he has been aggrieved by an unlawful discriminatory practice under … The three central bays of the two-story wing are taller than the outer two, stepping up toward the central four-story mass. Menard County Courthouse in Petersburg, Illinois. Building Materials/Description: 4-story brick structure with limestone details. As shown on the 1930 Sanborn map, Mission Street was also closed between Tipton and Gay Streets, along the southern boundary of the square. Present Status: Existing. The Menard County Courthouse in Menard County, Illinois. The library used the courthouse space, free of charge, until March 1963, when it was moved to a house at the corner of Bevans and Mission Streets. Extensive research did not reveal any further information on Porter. Menard County Courthouse – Menard Elmer G. Withers of Fort Worth, known for his many Art Deco designs, was the architect for this 1931 courthouse that served as … According to The Menard Messenger, a petition signed by all the directors of the Chamber of Commerce was presented to the Commissioners Court requesting that the old jail be saved for “some general purpose.” (August 13, 1931) The Lions Club also supported the retention of the jail for use as a meeting space, library or other public purpose. Menardville established itself early on as the county’s commercial center, with 300 residents by the early 1890s. He died on December 30, 1938. Commissioners Bob Lott, Jeff The jail was reportedly a dungeon, in the building’s northwest corner, into which prisoners were lowered and from which they could not escape without a ladder. The county was created in 1858 and later organized in 1871. From 1880 to 1884, the limestone structure’s first floor housed a general store while the second functioned as the county’s courtroom. Call, or visit the court's website if listed above. The fort was re-established as Fort McKavett in 1868, encouraging new settlement and marking the beginning of Menard County’s modern history. (Figure-25), Both the 1885 courthouse and jail were razed when the new courthouse was built in 1931. Although some have estimated higher costs, a review of the Commissioners Court minutes suggests that the cost was approximately $100,000 to $105,000. The second building used as a courthouse was a limestone commercial building in downtown Menard. Several changes had been made to the original plans to keep the total cost below $100,000. Building Materials/Description: Vernacular, wood picket, Building Completion Date: 1886 At that time, the north and south halves of the square were still separate blocks, divided by Canal Street. An apparently pressing need was addressed almost immediately. Thus on May 11, 1931, a tax of 25 cents on every $100 of property was established to pay for those items and to help cover the courthouse warrants. The building’s most common windows, which include an operable horizontal section below the vertically divided casements, were used on the two-story wings and the second floor of the central section. Menard County Clerk's Office Texas. The similarly styled stone jail was at the southern end of the square, near the site of the current courthouse. Although it illustrates a common approach to courthouse design in the period, the building’s stepped massing and strong formal statement are atypical, revealing the architect’s exposure to and sophisticated understanding of the style. Fax: 217-632-4124 The old jail cells will be used.” Porter also reassured the reporter that he would use local labor whenever possible. It is named for Michel Branamour Menard, the founder of Galveston, Texas. The Menard Messenger related details of an additional petition presented to the Commissioners Court, which asked to preserve the old jail “as a living monument to early day builders.” (September 24, 1931) This petition had many signatures of concerned citizens, but the Commissioners were not persuaded from razing the building. The storeroom in the basement was also added at this time, and a curved, Formica-covered desk was purchased for the county courtroom. 817-404-4638 The two story wings are, themselves, broken-up into three parts, with a taller and slightly protruding central section. No windows were included on the sides of the three-story sections, and the four-story mass has smaller casement windows without the lower horizontal openings. Throughout World War II, the Library Club sent books to Menard men in military training camps. In addition to a good deal of interior painting, a suspended ceiling was added to the county judge’s office and the county courtroom, and floor tile was laid in many rooms. *Please call to verify. A total of 512 votes were received with 270 votes FOR and 242 votes AGAINST the bond. A petition was circulated in 1930 calling for a bond election to build a new courthouse and jail. Five bids were returned, and E.D. The original bonds approved by the Menard Commissioners Court did not provide for heating, plumbing, electrical wiring, jail equipment or movable furniture. Menard County is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the U.S. state of Texas.As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,242. The county has thus retained much of its rural character. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) S.S. STATE OF ILLINOIS ) The Menard County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday November 14, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Menard County Courthouse, 102 S. Seventh Street, Petersburg, Illinois. It was not until two months later, however, on March 14, 1932, that the Commissioners Court accepted a furniture contract with the Dorsey Company of Dallas. This work appears to have been more successful, as no other roof repairs were reported until the 1980s. Although the new courthouse and jail were originally scheduled to be completed on October 25, 1931, the paper reported in October that the buildings would not be ready for move-in until November 15. The rear (south) elevation of the Menard County Courthouse, which faces the courthouse parking lot, is a simpler version of the front façade. Locate Menard real estate and other county court records held by the County Clerk including birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce records. It should come as little surprise then, that the two Texas county courthouses most comparable to that of Menard, Voelker and Dixon’s 1930 Cottle County Courthouse and Lang and Witchell’s 1928 Eastland County Courthouse, were designed by prominent firms from the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. On the same day, A.P. An American Legion marker commemorating Menard County men killed in combat was erected in 1967, and a Texas Civil War Defense Monument is also on the square. COUNTY OF MENARD ) ) SS. One final attempt was made by the citizens of Menard to save the 1885 jail. A small, shed-roofed storage structure has been added, extending from the east wing. The Commissioners Court, judge, sheriff, and other county officials prepared to visit several recent courthouses and jails for ideas, including those in Uvalde, San Antonio, and Eagle Pass. *Not location specific. The 1931 Menard County Courthouse has served the local community for over seven decades. The form of the Menard County Courthouse is composed from several distinct masses of differing heights. The first floor was occupied by a store, with the courthouse and jail on the second floor, accessed from an exterior stair. Its continued use as a courthouse has clearly maintained its integrity of association. When the local high school burned down in the fall of 1948, the library became the county’s sole source of books. Call, or visit the court's website if listed above. It was also mentioned that, without a new courthouse, the county would still have to spend at least $5,000 on a new vault. The City of Menard was asked to pay $12.50 for the office space it used in the courthouse in May 1937. How was I chosen? This building housed the Menard County courthouse and jail from 1880-84. Please be advised that a meeting of the Menard County Board of Review has been scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2021. The square is home to approximately 75 pecan trees, planted formally around the perimeter of the southern half but more randomly on the north side. The central section is four stories, abutted by shallow three story masses on the north and south with two-story wings flanking the east and west sides. Mailing Address: P.O. The Commissioners selected separate subcontractors from the combined bids that were received. 817-404-4638 The library has been an important and active institution in Menard. General Contractor: Vickery & Haynes In August 1943, a contract for $897 was accepted from Probst Roofing Co. to repair the roof over the jail and on the south side of the building (near the jailers quarters). The interior of the Menard County Courthouse reveals a fairly traditional, H-shaped courthouse plan. (Robinson 1983: 262-269) The Menard County Courthouse is an excellent example of the style’s swift and widespread adoption, even in more isolated rural counties. The form is nearly symmetrical, with the front distinguished by its protruding one-story entrance section and slightly more shallow three-story mass. Although the Commissioners stated that there was no hope of saving the 1885 courthouse, which would block the view of the new building, they agreed to wait on their final decision regarding the old jail, which would sit behind the new courthouse, until the overall sentiment of community could be determined. Menard’s courthouse square consists of two full blocks of land, bisected from west to east by a c.1875 irrigation canal (contributing), commonly known as “the ditch” or “the big ditch,” which extends from five miles above Menard to five miles below and irrigates 2,000 acres of land.
Malawi Cichlids Types, Magento 2 Essential Video Training, Postcard Template Google Docs, Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series Display Price, Dbpower Jump Starter Review, Gibson Firebird 2020, The Beach House Miramar Fl, How Do You Know If Someone Blocked You On Imessage, Beautiful In Zulu,